Brussels Story Slam – What is a story slam?
A story slam is a community storytelling event that features true stories, told live. Oh yes, it is also a competition — open to anybody who has a 5-minute story to share on the evenings theme. Come share a story or just enjoy the show!
How it works:
We give you a theme. YOU bring a story.
Five minutes tops. Must be true. Told by heart.
- Theme. We like to choose themes that can be interpreted in a number of ways. For example, stories on the theme of CRUSH can be about a childhood heart throb (first crush), or when you aced an exam (crushed it!), or totalled your car in an accident, or your favorite citrus flavored soft drink (orange Crush) or when you buckled under the weight ot pressure (that job crushed him), or when you were completely devastated (i was crushed!).
- Must be true. That means it’s YOUR story. It happened to YOU, not your mother or neighbor or best friend. Is hyperbole “true”? Yes. Is bad memory “true”? Absolutely!
- Told by heart. This simply means no notes. The challenge is to just stand at the mic and tell a story. Your story. Some people find it helps them to write out their story in order to memorize it, others make a bullet list and remember the main points, others just know their story so well and have it so internalized that they need very little crafting. Do what works for you.
- Preparation. Contemplate the theme and let it spark a memory, then find your story on that theme and practice practice practice! A five minute story is surprisingly short, so there is no time for a lengthy wind-up or philosophising. You need to start right in the action. See www.storyslamboulder.com for storytelling tips.
- Enter the Competition. When you arrive, put your name in the hat. Cross your fingers that your name gets picked! Ten lucky storytellers will be chosen from the hat and invited to come to the stage and wow us with their tales.
- Judging.Yes, it’s true: we invite you to come and bare your soul with a personal story….then we judge you! Each audience member will receive a ballot (a.k.a. a slip of paper) to write down their favorite story/storyteller. Stories will be judged on how deftly you engage with the theme and stick to the time limit, but most importantly, on telling a darn good story with a little conflict, a resolution, a little suspense, and some good, juicy details.
- What does the winner get? Come and find out!!
(lightly edited from https://www.ninarolle.com/story-slam)
About Truth Be Told Story Slam
Truth Be Told Story Slam was founded in February of 2013 in Boulder, Colorado by Nina Rolle and Johanna Walker, two performing artists who were inspired to create an ongoing performance series featuring true stories, well-told. A Boulder favorite since its inception, Truth Be Told has consistently played to sold-out houses, moving a community of fellow storytellers and story lovers to bring more stories into the world and onto the stage.
How it works: Truth Be Told invites audience members to enter their names in the hat with the hopes of being selected to tell a 5-minute, true-life story on a pre-determined theme.
Truth Be Told can be customized for your company or community. Nina will draw a personalized story theme from a slogan, a principle, or even an inside joke specific to your community.
Nina is a storytelling coach who can help you find your story, craft it, embody it, and tell it with confidence and glee.
Bring more to your story with Nina Rolle.
About Nina: https://www.ninarolle.com/meet-nina
About story slam:https://www.ninarolle.com/story-slam
About Truth Be Told: http://storyslamboulder.com
Bring more to your story with Nina Rolle.
Nina Rolle (rhymes with trolley) is a North American voice-over actor, storyteller, singer, and avid thrower of holiday dinner parties. In addition to providing voice-overs for hundreds of clients internationally, including Absolut Vodka, Motorola, Subzero, Vail Ski Resorts, and Lexus, Nina is co-founder and host of the popular Truth Be Told story slam in Boulder, Colorado. She also performs regularly with the Brazilian samba group Chegando Lá, and is a masterful storytelling coach who can help you find your story, craft it, embody it, and tell it with confidence and glee.
Nina’s award-winning original show, Zen Cabaret: a Contemplative Burlesque has been performed everywhere from San Francisco nightclubs to a Hollywood rooftop, to the New York International Clown Festival; as a music director and composer, Nina has performed her original scores in theatrical productions across the United States. Nina teaches meditation at Naropa University in Colorado and Dharma Art for Chapman University in California.
Nina’s newest enterprise, Boundless Playground, combines her thirty years’ experience as a meditator with her endlessly playful artistic practice in a series of retreats, concerts and workshops that explore the intersection of meditation and creativity.